Insurance Required to Register Vehicles in Minnesota

Atlas Insurance Brokers - Rochester, MN

Insurance Required to Register Vehicles in Minnesota

Effective Jan. 1, 2016, insurance is required in order to register, renew, or transfer ownership of a motor vehicle or motorcycle in Minnesota.

What Info Do I Need?

You’ll need to provide:

  • Insurance Company
  • Policy Number
  • Policy Expiration Date

All of this information is included on a typical insurance ID Card. ID cards should be provided to you upon issuance of a new policy or policy renewal. If you’ve misplaced your ID cards, you can get new ones. Many insurance companies offer online portals giving policyholders access to documents, coverage information, and more. Check out our Service & Claims Page to find contact info for your insurance company.

Why Did the Law Change?

The law was initiated to reduce the amount of MN drivers without insurance coverage. If it succeeds, it could mean a reduction in premiums as the cost is spread to previously uninsured motorists.

Skip to content